Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. (住友化学株式社, Sumitomo Kagaku Kabushiki-gaisha) is a major Japanese chemical company. The company is listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange and is a component of the 225-stock index. It is a member of sumitomo Group and was founded in 1913 as a fertilizer manufacturing plant. 1913: House of Sumitomo establishes a fertilizer plant in Ihim to produce fertilizers from sulphur dioxide extracted from copper smelting emissions. 1925: Sumitomo Fertilizer Manufacturing Co., Ltd. was founded with operations in what is now ehime business. 1944: Sumitomo Chemical Acquires Japanese Daistov Manufacturing Company, starting a precision chemical company in Osaka and Oita works. 1949: Sumitomo Chemical takes over the aluminum business of Sumitomo Aluminium Smelting Company, starting with the integrated production of aluminum of alumina. 1965: Takatsuki Research Laboratory, the company's central laboratory, has been completed. Sumitomo Sheba Chemical Co., Ltd., is established and begins petrochemical operations in the chiba business.